Monday, May 24, 2010

Jammin to George FM @ the radiation clinic on day 9. Helps me lay still :)

Yes, I get sore and/or tired as the day goes on.  Overall, I continue to do great after 9 radiation treatments.  There are 24 to go, I just take them one at a time and tell myself I CAN do this.  Knowing that I have a lot of prayers being said for me helps a lot too (thanks!)

The hardest part about the 15 minutes it takes to do each treatment is laying very, very still.  I have a small orange plastic "donut" that I hold with both hands.  If I itch, or need to sneeze, or whatever, all I can do is squeeze the donut harder.  The first couple days were quiet, then suddenly one day there was music in the room.  Last week it was there every day, until Friday, when it was quiet again.  That's when I realized that the music was helping me.

They play a station called "George FM".  After listening to it for a few days, I have learned that "it's all about the variety", and there certainly is plenty of that.  Whether you like disco, 80s, or Thrice, they have it all on George FM.  Of course, you don't know from one song to the next what you are going to get.  I doubt if I would keep the station on for long if I was choosing, but it turns out to be good for the radiation room because it gets your mind off what is going on.  Just listen to three songs and maybe an ad, and before you know it they are turning the lights on and saying "see you tomorrow".  Which are the magic words that mean you get to move again . . .

Thank goodness they turned the music on today.

Changing subjects, Willyne found a great flag and flagpole recently.  Our friend Andrew put it up today, hope you like it as much as we do . . .


4 comments:

  1. Do they play your favorites like christina aguilera, mariah, or britney? I'm sure it would be tough if they did, because I know it would be hard not to bust out your dance moves to your favorite songs. :) You're looking great friend, and love the updates. And hello, I can not believe you went to a Carpenters concert and never shared that goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. George has so much variety that I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I totally gag on one of my "favorites". So far I have dodged that bullet though. As for the Carpenters "news", I don't know what to say. I didn't purposely not say, and for some time I have hesitated telling stories because I figure y'all (yes I just used that glorious piece of Southern lingo) have long since tired of hearing me repeat myself. Maybe I do have a few surprises left up my sleeve after all . . .

    By the way, I had a great time that night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Broadcasting from a tiny booth atop a restaurant in Hurricane, Utah . . . (oh was that Culver City, Mr. Jack?) he he

    ReplyDelete