Sunday, May 30, 2010

Happy (Original) Memorial Day

Memorial Day is May 30 but was changed several years ago to the last Monday in May in the effort to create more 3 day weekends.  That's fine, just gives me two chances to think about those we love who are now gone -- once today and then again tomorrow . . .

We had impromptu speakers in Sacrament Meeting today.  Apparently whoever was going to speak called the Bishop Friday and said they couldn't, so he felt prompted to handle it this way.  It turned out really well.  Keturah Lance, Katie Wilson, Marva Stevens, and Marva's husband Jason were called out of the audience to speak and each of them had a wonderful spirit as they spoke.

It was a fifth Sunday, which meant a few things were different.  Hugh Howard teaches a journaling class during Sunday School on fifth Sundays, everyone had a turn helping each other by sharing their experiences.  I shared my from two months of writing this blog daily.  It has been a good experience for me, I love the comments, and also I find writing blesses me to be more conscious of what is around me and of the daily decisions I make.  Thank you for being a part of this with me! 

We also had combined Priesthood and Relief Society today, the full-time missionaries in our area led a discussion with us.  We got new missionaries this week -- not only an area whitewash, but also we have sisters now instead of elders.  They have a good spirit and enthusiasm, I think they will enjoy La Verkin Stake and do well here.

One other fifth Sunday highlight was that Willyne and I hosted a Meet and Greet at our home from 5 to 6 pm.  We were all having such a good time that it was close to 7 when it actually ended.  Very informal, just sit out some yummy teriyaki meat balls, some oatmeal coconut cake (smells and tastes great!), and water . . . have some friends bring additional treats, put flyers on doors and talk it up, and voila!  great conversations begin and people get better acquainted!  We think we had about 44 people come and are quite thankful for that!

After that I peeled some potatoes and Willyne started cooking baked beans for our family barbeque for tomorrow, smells wonderful in our home now!

No comments:

Post a Comment