Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Visiting Dr Carter

As you may know, I was diagnosed with high lipids at the same time four years ago that I was diagnosed with prostate cancer.  We talk more about the cancer, and I see doctors more often about it, but I do take 5 mg of crestor every day to try to reduce the lipids, and this is one of the reasons I try to be careful about what I eat and to go on long walks as often as possibly, preferably daily.

Anyway, I have been getting checked yearly for this, and we're back around to it being time again, so I had an appointment with Dr. Carter today.  As a side note, Mel and Darin are cousins -- so I want all you Ragozzines out there to know he asked about you today and was glad to know all four of you are doing well.

Lipids include such things as cholesterol and triglycerides.  Four years ago my cholesterol was 320, compared with a target of 150.  I have gotten this down some, to 270, but I need to do more.  I don't remember the triglycerides number he gave me, but that one has gone up somewhat.  I was also tested for diabetes to see if that is helping cause these high readings.  No, I don't have diabetes, that is a relief.

I would just as soon not write this entry and try to work this through on my own.  But I know you care and I appreciate this very much.  The existence of the "Keep Dad Alive ..." blog is because of your care.  I will be on 10 mg of crestor now instead of 5, and will strive harder to get my daily walks in.  I love to walk.  It makes me feel as good inside as eating scrubbers.  All I can say is many people depend on me, and many days I talk myself out of walking because of the needs of that day.  I know this is not good thinking and will increase my efforts again. 

I will also be back for a follow-up check on this in three months instead of a year.  So I will report back then on how I am doing.

Thanks for caring.  It means everything to me.

4 comments:

  1. I like hearing the updates, so I'm glad you post about them. I am the same way with food and exercise, so easy to talk yourself out of it, but I'm always so glad when I do it, LOVES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both, Doug and Rachel, very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Know I am a little late, but I love this blog! Keep it up tortoise style!

    ReplyDelete