Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I Voted ... In A Way I Have Never Done Before

I don't think I am alone in this.  First of all, there are steady lines at the polling places, all day long.  For example, this is the view waiting in line to vote at my polling place in La Verkin at 10 this morning -- a time I chose because I thought the line would be shorter, and I suspect it was ...



So what is different this time?  For me, I've finally reached my limit with voting for the lesser of the evils.  I'm tired of hearing about "the failed policies of (insert name of immediate past leader)".  They are all failed policies.  The following article comes close to expressing what I am talking about, please take a minute to read it, then humor me by coming back for a wrap-up thought.  Thanks.

Here's the Real Reason Independents Have Turned Against the Democrats - CNBC

I would take it one step farther than this article did.   If someone or some organization donates a large sum to your campaign, you become beholden to them at some level.  This includes a political party.  Up until now, if you wanted any hope of getting elected, you had to hold your nose if necessary, and choose one of the parties to affiliate with.  As soon as you did, you were then expected to vote their way most of the time.  So who are you going to represent really?  Big business?  Big government?  Big labor?  Special interest group (fill in the name)?  Or the actual people of your district or state?  (Remember that if it is too big to fail, whatever it is, it is too big.  Period. So let's do something about that rather than perpetuate it)

There were a number of multi-county or statewide races on the ballot today.  For once, I really tried to vote for people, not parties.  One person I voted for was affiliated with one party, another person was with another party.  And I will be watching those people if they are elected.  If they aren't independent enough, they won't get my vote next time.  As many times as possible, I tried to give the nod to "unaffiliated".  I don't think an alternative party is the answer either.

Call me crazy if you like.  Or join me.  If enough of us do, we just might achieve a dream of having county, state, and national elections be like local and school board elections -- nonpartisan.

I'm really interested in the results this time around.  Hopefully those who get elected will realize that they were elected to represent people rather than any particular party.  Hopefully.  Until then, I'll continue passionately smiling to the end ...

No comments:

Post a Comment