Friday, October 8, 2010

Putting Humpty Dumpty Back Together Again

On Day 2 back walking I went 2 miles in 45 minutes, which is 7 minutes better than yesterday.  I even took 10 minutes of business calls while walking (I began at 7:22 am -- some like calling early!). Talking while walking can get interesting, because I was breathing heavily and my listeners were wondering what was going on.  So I told them. It's all good.

Willyne and I are working on memorizing "The Living Christ" by Christmas.  She's got it already, I had about a paragraph done in the same amount of time (around a month)  I got this genius idea to do it on my walk and it really helps.  I am up to 12 lines now.  

By the way, this is an amazing thing to do -- the words pack so much more meaning when you start memorizing them!  Really makes you think about Him more often and more deeply.  I recommend it!

We have our QuickBooks server back at the office.  Now begins the process I call putting Humpty Dumpty back together again.  Loading backup files back on the computer.  Reinstalling printer drivers so you can print from it directly or remotely.  Reinstall the software that allows us to access the server from computers away from the office, which turns out to be a major part of our operation.  Making sure every other computer in the office can communicate with this one.  Testing QuickBooks, tax preparation, and other programs to make sure they work.  Load virus protection and internet security software.  Set up automatic data backup in the background.  And lots more.  Josh helped for half the day.  Harry helped all day.  I'm still here in the evening (8:49 pm), checking programs that are still running every few minutes to hit button to keep them going.  That part will continue tomorrow as well, but at least I can do other things at the same time.  It really is amazing what it takes to keep these machines running, but I still know I could never go back to the way we did things before we had these machines.  And I am indeed old enough to have done it both ways ...  (I know, that is saying something ...)

2 comments:

  1. perfect title for this post. and i loved that you used the phrase "its all good". not as good as when you said "it's been a wing ching ching and a wong chong chong kind of day" but what can really touch that beauty my friend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could always try "a flippy dip doo dah kind of day" ...

    ReplyDelete