Monday, October 18, 2010

Not Even Once

Some of my thoughts throughout the day ...

I read Mosiah 18:9 with some of the commitments the people of Alma made when they were baptized, and which we make when we are baptized ...

... mourn with those that mourn
...comfort those that stand in need of comfort
...to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death

Then I read what Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles wrote about this verse.  He declared that our baptismal covenants require righteousness no matter how difficult the circumstances: “When we covenant in the waters of baptism to ‘stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places,’ we’re not talking solely about fast and testimony meetings. It may not always be easy, convenient, or politically correct to stand for truth and right, but it is always the right thing to do—always” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1997, 51; or Ensign, Nov. 1997, 37).

I am now picturing Sister Wendy Watson Nelson, the wife of Elder Nelson of the Twelve, passing the barn with "NOT EVEN ONCE" painted on the roof.  (See page 158 of her book Change Your Questions, Change Your Life for a picture of the barn roof and page 165 for the application to "not even once will I miss the opportunity to (you fill in the blank) ..."

Not even once will I miss the opportunity to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Like a lot of people, I'm quite interested in the national elections that are now fifteen days away.  I found a couple articles today that I think are worth your time to look at, how about you read them, then comment here with your thoughts about
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Benjamin, this is for you ...

Your mother and I did go on a walk this evening.  Day 1 happened.  Thanks for your support!

2 comments:

  1. That's what I like to hear! And i do believe you are in Boston no? I didn't get time to read the articles but that Germany, Korea, Texas, California one seems intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take your mother to the Vegas airport tomorrow morning to get on the plane to Boston. Sadly, I'm not up for three long plane rides yet--hopefully by the spring I will be. I sure want to go to see the Jacksons and Ragozzines!

    ReplyDelete