Thursday, August 26, 2010

What the Holy Ghost Can Do For Us (If We Want Him To)

I am literally using this blog post to take notes on my reading this morning.  As you may have noticed, I like studying from the Institute manual along with the scriptures, it helps me see things in the verses I wouldn't see otherwise.  And there are often great quotes from the apostles and prophets about the verses that I really enjoy!

The Book of Mormon actually has two manuals, I'll call them "old" and "new".  I have a printed version of the "old" manual, showing a 1989 publishing date and a 1996 reprinting date.  A few years later the manual was updated, mostly to include additional quotes it seems to me.  That manual is available online (click on the underlined "online" to have it appear on your screen). 

I use both manuals.  If I am studying on the computer, I use the "new" manual.  If I am away from the computer and studying in books, I use the "old" manual.

A couple days ago, I noticed the last "Point to Ponder" in the "old" manual lesson for 2 Nephi 31-33 says the following:

"Nephi knew that having the Holy Ghost was an important key in striving for eternal life.  Read 2 Nephi 31-33, and list at least six things the Holy Ghost can do for us."

That intrigued me enough that I entered a task in my BlackBerry day planner (that keeps reminding me until I do it or cancel it) to remind me to try to see if I could find at least six things ...

31:13-14 and 32:2 Holy Ghost will bless us to be able to "speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel."

31:17 Holy Ghost helps us be able to receive cleansing from our sins ...  "For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost."

31:18 "and ye have received the Holy Ghost, which witnesses of the Father and the Son"

32:5 "if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do."

32:8 "For if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray"

33:1 "for when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men"

When you read these chapters, did you find other things that the Holy Ghost can do for us ... if we let him?  I would love to learn more about what the Holy Ghost has shared with you by the Spirit about these things.

Thank you for studying with me today.

------------------------------------------------------------------

It is thirteen days until this becomes an invitation-only blog on Wednesday, September 8.  Please see the August 25 entry and comments for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment