Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Greetings From The Number One Star Gazing Destination In America

I spent about four minutes in Tonopah, Nevada today, much of which was devoted to taking two pictures you are about to see.  I wasn't planning to stop there at all, but when I saw several of these banners hanging from street light poles, I knew I had to share them with my star gazing friends ...


In case you can't read the bottom section, it says "the DARKEST BRIGHTEST SKIES in the nation".

Of course, actually seeing these dark bright skies (while wondering, how can something be dark and bright simultaneously?) would be easier if you spent the night here, so I thought I would share with you a leading hotel and Main Street of this one-time mining center reinvented as a premier star-gazing destination.



It did pique my interest to check out the sky here on some future night with a new moon.  I am imagining that the seat of Nye County is indeed a great place to soak in the wonders and beauties of space.  Any takers on making this the location of the 2010 Beecher Brethren camp?  Or do I hear any nominations for star-gazing locales (preferably with nice campgrounds) superior to the self-proclaimed number one star gazing destination in America?

4 comments:

  1. I'm game where exactly is this place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is in the middle of nowhere, probably why the star gazing is so good. It is on the busy main highway about halfway between Las Vegas and Reno, so I'm guessing if we can find something 20 miles out of town over one of the mountains, we'd see the stars even better.

    It is about 320 miles from here, maybe a little farther for you. Go to Delta anyway you prefer, then keep going west on US 6 until you get there. And be sure to top off your gas tank in Ely, there is no gas stations (or anything else) for 186 miles after that.

    Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First take would be flame! But, then you said mountains, so I have faith in Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonopah is dry as a bone and desert landscaping (or mining camp refuse, if you want to be more precise) is everywhere. But it is 6000 feet elevation, and there are neigboring mountains, so I would expect sunny days and chilly nights. We could find a neighboring mountain, I'm sure, with fantastic views of the night sky. Any other amenities, we'd have to bring ourselves for sure.

    ReplyDelete