Thursday, August 5, 2010

Genevieve Heaton Gubler, Friend, Neighbor, and LaVerkin Pioneer

Genevieve had an amazing funeral today.  I've known her for eighteen years -- starting when she was 79 years young.  She has been a great example to me of how to keep active and doing worthwhile things at any age.  The way her family has rallied to care for her in the past few years as her health started declining has been inspirational as well.

She had five children, each of whom spoke today, mostly of what they learned from her (the value of faith, work, and high expectations).  They gave her 40 grandchildren, most of whom sung as a group "How Great Thou Art".  Later most of her 113 great-grandchildren sang "I Am A Child of God" as a group.  What a blessing!

Genevieve was born in 1913 in Alton, on the other side of Zion Park from LaVerkin.  I call her a LaVerkin pioneer because she gave so much to the town during the eighty-plus years she lived here (most of the 119 years it has existed).  She wrote a poem that was printed on her funeral program, and which I'd like to quote for you here,

My Town

Dear little town of LaVerkin
I wonder how you feel today?
Do you sometimes have growing pains,
As you expand, first this way, then that way?

I remember when you were so little and cozy,
In the not so distant past,
When every one was my next door neighbor,
And the pace we lived was not so fast.

I guess we can't stop what we call 'progress'
In this day of the jet and trips to the moon.
But sometimes I long for the "good old days"
And think, those days have passed too soon.

But some things that linger on forever
Are the memories of ths place
They gladden my heart with rejoicing,
For my memories don't have to keep pace.

Genevieve, I'll miss your cheerful smile and think of you every time I pass your colorful flowers.  God be with you till we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment