Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Discovering The Psalm of Nephi

I am really liking studying the scriptures with the Institute manuals as a resource.  Today I was reading in 2 Nephi 4 and 5 and I noticed this comment in the Institute manual,

"These psalms served to express the religious feeling of ancient Israel at its greatest depth and highest intensity. Nephi would be familiar with the psalm form as well as with many of the psalms in the Old Testament. It would be natural for him to “write the things of [his soul]” ( v.15 ) and the expressions of his joy and his sorrow in this highly beautiful, poetic form.  An individual can experience more of what Nephi possibly intended by reading this passage aloud, trying to feel as Nephi must have felt as he wrote it, rather than trying to see whether or not the passage has the elements of good English poetry."  (If you click on the underlined passage, you'll get it as part of the entire lesson for chapters 4-7)

So I decided to try it.  Please click below to here me read Nephi's psalm (verses 15-35).  Or better yet, read it aloud yourself.  I think you'll agree, this particular passage has a deeper meaning when you read it aloud, "trying to feel as Nephi must have felt as he wrote it."




I also realized that I had never noticed before that Nephi wrote a psalm.  Makes me appreciate him all the more!

--------------------------------------------------------

Today was a little better than yesterday, thanks to a three hour nap when I got back from radiation and a visit to update my hearing aids.  I know, seems like a long nap, but I must say the doctors were right, more sleep helps the body heal. (yea!)

2 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing your insights..i'm glad you are feeling better :0) i love you, willyne

    ReplyDelete