Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The neighbor walking on the other side of the horse pasture ...

Terreeeblay has most of the news today, from day 30 in series 2 of the treadmill, to dinner with the bishopric this evening.  Read all about it!  http://terreeeblay.blogspot.com/2011/01/20.html

There was one other thing early this morning.  Just before Thanksgiving, a neighbor a block up the street knocked on the door, and wanted to know if I minded if he parked his 18 wheel tractor trailer rig in front of our house.  He promised to come late at night and leave early in the morning, and not be too noisy.  There was something about the look in his eye and the fact that it was Thanksgiving that made me have a soft heart and say yes.  I knew I couldn't, we have an ordinance against parking trucks like that on the street for one thing.  Still ...

Well, I've been getting a few anonymous complaints, but I haven't wanted to do anything about it because of that look in the man's eyes, like I was taking food out of his children's mouths if I didn't say yes or something.  I don't know how to describe that look.

Anyway, as I was getting ready to visit Terreeeblay this morning, I heard the truck start up, and I knew what I had to do, so I got my levis on and went across the street to talk with him.  Only problem was, the truck was running but no one was there.  I knew eventually he would come back, and he did, a half hour later.  I got to talk with Vern Jacques when he drove by, and waved at a few other folks as I was "out getting some air" as Vern put it.

My heart was heavy as I waited, but eventually I saw him across the horse pasture, walking up the street.  He saw me too.  I tried to smile as we met, I hope I did.  I know he knew what I was going to say before I said it.  "Sorry, but I'm going to ask you to find somewhere else to park your truck.  I've had some complaints."  He was nice about and said, "I understand.  Our friendship is more important than where I park my truck."  He's hoping to get Lane Blackmore's permission to park with the other trucks on the vacant commercial lot by the Post Office, but he can't get Lane to return his calls ...  I hope Lane does soon.  It would make me feel better ...

2 comments:

  1. Who's complaining? I say let him park there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The truck is pretty noisy, for anywhere from 15 minutes up to an hour at a time while he warms it up. If I tell him yes, several people's sleep gets disrupted because of the time of day it is. The old Sunrise parking area would actually be just as convenient for him, so I do hope that works out.

    ReplyDelete