Sunday, September 19, 2010

Caroline Hemenway Harmon and an Unique Sunday

I was at church at 7 am this morning for the priesthood leadership session of our semiannual church stake conference.  After the opening song and prayer, the clerks were immediately separated to a separate session held in the high council room.  For the next two hours we received detailed instruction from Scott English, the stake financial clerk, on how to effectively follow church procedures intended to protect the sacred donations received and assure they are properly used for the purposes intended by the donors.  I have served in various clerk positions at several intervals in my life, and have heard much instruction over the years.  Several of us in the room noted to each other after it was over that this was the most practical material we had ever received on the subject.

After an hour interlude, the final session of stake conference began at 10 am.  I was one of the ushers.  It was satisfying to help people with walkers and other needs find adequate seats in the crowded chapel and to otherwise help with reverence by assisting fussy children and more.

I managed to do that and still be truly fed by being in attendance.  There is not enough room here to express all of it, so I will focus on the story of one remarkable woman which you can read as a separate entry in my blog "I Believe".

Shortly after conference, Willyne headed north to see her sister Pamela with her mother and niece Danielle.  Tomorrow they will visit Benjamin and Norma Sanders and then return home.  This left me alone for the afternoon and evening, a unique Sunday experience for me.  I did some things Willyne asked, answered some letters, took a nap, and learned about Caroline Hemenway Harmon.  I hope you are touched by her life story as I was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment