Saturday, December 4, 2010

Winterfest Parade 2010

 La Verkin has a winter festival on the first Saturday of December each year, one of its highlights is the light parade.  I'll let the pictures do most of the work ...



The float for the Mayor and City Council included a generator to provide power for the Christmas lights.  Luckily, it was still going when I took the picture.  Overall, it was off more than it was on ... :-(

Pictured here is Mayor Wilson with one of his grandsons, just before the parade began.  Ray Justice and I joined them a moment later.

'

We were near the front of the parade, with Frosty leading the way!


I have always liked colored lights in motion


You might remember me writing about recycling in La Verkin last August.  This well-lit float features one of the recycling binnies.  Councilman Phil Jensen, who represents our city on the county solid waste disposal board, rode on this float.

It was overcast, which kept it relatively warm -- yea!  There were also exciting fireworks tonight!  These little hometown celebrations and a fun part of the character of living here.

------------------------------------------------------------------

One other note of the day, I'm a lifelong Dodgers fan, but that didn't stop me from being sad to hear of Ron Santo's death. The picture on the right is how I remember him, back in the day ...




He was one of those rare people who hustled every day and really cared about his team and his community. I will miss him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

And last, but certainly not least, today is number 20 for walking.  I haven't felt well in a few days now, mostly a head cold, but I have cut back to 10 minute walks because of it -- but I really want to keep going no matter what.  Today wasn't the treadmill, I walked 0.5 miles after the parade to meet up with Willyne.  No grade, but it felt good!  Thanks for your support, it is really helping me!

1 comment:

  1. Dad the Awes at work again! I know you won't ever pat yourself on the back, but you have a lot to be proud of for the time you have spent serving your town on the city council. You, and your fellow councilmen, have done many things to bring pride back to the community, and I few this as just another sign of that La Verkin spirit shining through. Congrats Awes on everything you've done and accomplished while on the city council!!

    ReplyDelete