Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Celebrate Christmas! "As to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things ... For which we will praise his name forever." -- Alma 26:12


---------------------------------------------------
Got reacquainted with my friend the treadmill. I've missed it, but went slow to avoid dizzyness. Walked 0.33 mile-flat surface-10 minutes.

---------------------------------------------------

Doug Jr sent me a text this morning, "Did you watch that game in 74 when nd ended uclas streak? Must of been pretty amazing that ucla never lost a game your whole mission, maybe worthy of a blog post."

That 88 game win streak that stretched over a full 3 years from January 1971 to January 1974 was indeed amazing. Most of the games weren't even close, regardless of the competition -- of which there was plenty.



No, I didn't get to see the game as I was still serving my mission in January 1974.  I came home in August that year, just a few days after Nixon resigned.  But the winning streak was already 1 1/2 years in progress when I started my mission and already amazing at that point.  And it kept going another 1 1/2 years after that!

Here's a great link on UCLA's streak ... http://www.mmbolding.com/basketball/NDUCLA74.htm.

Now to be fair here, I'm sure it's not a total coincidence you bring up the UCLA streak this particular week, the one where the UConn women broke the streak.  So here's a link on that streak too -- even Mr. Walton gives his props, along with Coach Wooden's grandson ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/22/sports/ncaabasketball/22uconn.html?_r=1

Oh, one more thing tonight --- go Broncos!  (and I don't mean Denver this time, though I enjoyed watching Tebow this week)

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see your feeling good enough to get back on with your old friend! Keep up the awes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awes post; maybe you can break the 88 streak on your Terrible Herbst the treadmill ;)

    ReplyDelete