Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tributes to President Reagan and Craig Oakford

It's President Reagan's 100th birthday today, so I'd like to share a tribute to him written by Craig Oakford.

http://oakford.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/happy-birthday-president-reagan-2/

Craig was my first roommate in BYU's Deseret Towers after we both came home from our missions.  Today he lives in Simi Valley, California, home to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library.  I've been once in my life, and if you ever get out that way, you should stop in for a few hours to visit.  President Reagan was a great man and a great president.  As time passes, I appreciate him more.

The picture is of Craig and his wife Wendy at the wedding of their daughter Stacy.  Some of you have heard a few of my stories from our year as roommates.  His persistence in courting Wendy was one of them.  Another was the "how many baptisms did you have on your mission story -- do you really want to know -- minus one."  He went to the French mission that also included Belgium.  Funny we never met before we did, since our missions were twenty miles and an international body of water apart, and he graduated from "Rydell High" the year after I did ... but I never knew him there, and I thought I knew everyone who was Mormon, after all when there are only 30 of you and 3,200 of everyone else, you stick together!

No comments:

Post a Comment