Monday, May 2, 2011

A Touching Visit With Carl Bloch

I am a glass half full kind of person, so I will focus my comments on this eventful day on a wonderful experience I shared with Willyne and her mother Floryne on our way home from Dillon's eagle court of honor and Braden's ordination yesterday.

We had reserved tickets at 10 am to the Carl Bloch exhibit at the BYU Museum of Art.

No pictures were allowed inside, so I will describe the experience by showing this picture of us outside, and by saying how deeply touched I was with the level of detail and feeling that is evident in these Brother Bloch's work.  No, he wasn't a member of my church.  But that seems the most appropriate title for him, Brother Bloch.  One example was his painting of the mother at dawn's early light, still at the bedside of her daughter grieving her loss the night before.  Christ is walking in the room, about to perform a wonderful miracle.  The mother has no idea what is about to happen.  You feel like you are experiencing it with her. 

Every painting was like that.  When we walked out, I commented to Willyne and Floryne that I felt like I had just been to the temple.  The spirit there was that strong.

If you would like to know more about Brother Bloch or about this exhibit, here is one place you might go:


Another good thing has just happened.  Technically we just heard about it very late last night.  The reality of it is still sinking in today.  It certainly evokes a whole different set of feelings than those I just described.

-----------------------------------------------------

Osama Bin Laden is dead.  We still have many more terrorists to deal with, but this was a very important one.  In a very real way, it feels like it must have felt when World War II ended and there was some closure on the great loss at Pearl Harbor.  This time it was the great loss of 9-11. 

As you probably have heard me say, I was with Willyne and all of our children at the World Trade Center on July 5, 2001, just two months before 9-11.  We still feel the loss of the friends we made that day.  We have been back to what can only be described as the hole in the ground and in the heart of the city more than once since then.

It is certainly better that this one man is gone than the many more he would have wanted to harm.

I hope we continue to stop everyone who is allied with him.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Doug, Josh, and Benjamin, you will be glad to know I continued walking -- see


No comments:

Post a Comment