Monday, May 23, 2011

Hills, Roadrunner, Sweet Vidalias, and Alaska Highway Memories -- Exciting Times!

Hills and Roadrunner

I took Willyne's Denali over to Roadrunner this morning and took the hilly way home ... you can read about it by clicking on http://terreeeblay.blogspot.com/2011/05/108.html

Priorities and Onion Peeling

I deeply love my wife Willyne. I have been married to her for thirty-three years. Her smile that captivated me when I met her is a window into her soul. As time passes, I become more and more appreciative of the depth and many layers of the goodness that her outer smile reflects.

One of the things that I admire about her is her urgent desire to truly follow our Savior, Jesus Christ. To do this, she studies, she prays, and she tries to live each day according to the principles He taught and that she learns through her study and prayers. She will be the first person to tell you she is not perfect. As she gradually gets closer to the Lord through reading the words of apostles and prophets, through prayer, and by striving to live consistently with that, she becomes more aware of things she could have done better and more desirous to make amends with anyone she might have offended.

In a way she is on a journey that might be compared to peeling an onion. It would have to be a sweet Vidalia onion to have any merit as a comparison.  If you'd like to find out why, click on
http://tinyurl.com/3fx7vxu to keep reading about it.

Alaska Highway Memories

I came home and started preparing for a 10 am appointment at the office, when the phone rang and changed my day.  My client wanted to move our meeting to tomorrow.  I don't think it was five minutes later when it became evident that supplies we needed to keep the backyard project going were needed now, not a few days from now.  Willyne needed to be here to continue being orchestra conductor, cheerleader, creative thinker, problem solver, and serious multitasker.  Seeing what was at hand, I volunteered to go to St. George to get a load of building supplies.

My plan was to rent a truck from Lowe's for $19 and drive the supplies back to the house.  But ... much of the trex boards are 16 feet long.  Even with the trunk down, the boards would stick out 5 inches longer than the law permits.  Lowe's truck became unavailable.  I have to think on my feet at this point.  If I don't come up with a solution I have to wait several days for them to deliver ... while I have workers at my house now.

The solution (drumroll) ...





A 26 foot U-Haul truck.  Yes, they have a 17 foot model, but that includes 3 feet of "Mama's Attic" overhang space so the actual truck bed is 14 feet ... not long enough for 16 foot boards.

It made me think of the Alaska Highway.  Even on that adventure, the truck was "only" 24 feet long.  But, just think, at least they have automatic transmissions now ...

It was a long, good, exciting day.  And now, I'm going to rest.  I tell Willyne every day that I don't know how she does it!!!

2 comments:

  1. i don't really know what to say...should we save this for my funeral :0)
    i have said it many times and will say it millions more...i am who i am because of you...
    thank you sweetheart...i love you so so dearly, willyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete