Friday, April 6, 2012

The Overcoat

In the spring of 1976, I took Organizational Behavior 321 from Stephen Covey in the old auditorium of BYU's Joseph Smith Building with Jerry Sparks, a friend I had met in Intercollegiate Knights shortly after returning from my mission.  In IK's we mostly did service projects, but also had fun lighting the Y and selling programs at football and basketball games (for which we got seating by the marching band which was great fun).

Jerry was dating Marilyn Anderson.   I met her when she came to Covey's class with Jerry.  They got engaged as the semester progressed, and when they both graduated that summer they were married.  We did what most students seem to do, went our separate ways after graduation.  We have exchanged Christmas letters over the years but haven't had much other contact.  

As part of their recent job search, I was contacted to see if I could provide any leads.  In the course of that, this comment was made:

"Whenever I see a young man in an overcoat I think of you Doug as your education was far more important than getting a different coat after your mission.  You had your priorities right!"

I am humbled, and very surprised.  I had no idea that my well worn English wool overcoat meant anything to anyone, especially thirty-six years later.  One more reminder to me, that you never know who is looking at you, and what the seemingly meaningless things you do mean to others.



2 comments:

  1. Love the blog! Glad you make the time to keep me posted on all your awes activities!

    ReplyDelete