Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What If They Held A War (OK, a Public Hearing on Spending $1,500,000) and Nobody Came ...

A short walk on a flat surface.  Not feeling so good tonight, but I am the tortoise we will persist and do what we can ...  http://terreeeblay.blogspot.com/2011/06/116.html

City Council met tonight.  We had a first, at least in the seven years I have been there.  We had the final public hearing for the budget for the 2011-12 year that begins July 1.  No one from the public came, it was opened and closed without comment.  It is the best budget we can do with the resources we have - just under $1.5 million for a town of 4300 people (2009 Census estimate is the latest available) or under $350 per person per year.  Compare that to what it takes to run your town.  We are very efficient here.

I actually think that's why nobody came.  If we were raising taxes or doing something controversial, the room would be full.  I've seen that too ...

Still, I'm on record in several meetings earlier in the year as we prepared for this ... I did actually want to raise the property tax an average of $60 per family so we would be better funded for maintenance.  Nothing huge, it would have increased our budget 5% overall, but directed to maintenance it would have made a much larger difference.

I am concerned we have trimmed so well we took off a little of the bone with the fat.  Put it this way.  You can postpone your oil changes in your car for a time and not notice much of a difference.  Eventually if you keep trying to stretch each oil change too far, you will pay more in the end for engine repairs.

It became evident a few weeks ago that those who said this isn't the time for that had the majority, so I began working for where we would direct what money we do have ...

Doug Jr., that was for you -- you like these updates.  Benjamin, I imagine I have shocked you again, I know you are opposed to all tax increases for any reason.  I've given my reasons and I respect yours :)

Until tomorrow ... I am the passionately smiling tortoise!  Happy birthday, cousin Margo!

1 comment: